The new and increased fines on violation of traffic rules under the Amended Motor Vehicles Act came into effect in some states and union territories in September. Other states are likely to follow soon.
Apart from imposing higher fines to improve road safety and air quality, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has also launched a digital traffic/transport enforcement solution wherein e-challans and e-payments were enabled to help traffic violators make online payments anywhere.
The integrated software works on Android-based operating system as well and helps citizens login securely from anywhere, allowing them to not have to deviate from their daily routines to pay the fine.
How to pay your traffic challan online?
There are two options, you can either visit MoRTH’s official website (central government) or visit your state government or city-specific traffic website.
- MoRTH’s official website is www.echallan.parivahan.gov.in
- Click on “Check Challan Status” option (refer image).
- Check challan details by entering challan number or vehicle registration number or Driving License number.
- Enter the captcha and click on “Get Details.”
- On seeing the challan details, you can choose to go ahead and make the online payment on the same page.
- You will be provided with proof of payment.
State and city-specific traffic websites
State governments and large cities have their own specific websites to enable payment of fines online. For example, Bengaluru city’s website is called www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in and allows violators to pay fines via Amex card, netbanking, UPI, Paytm, debit card and credit card.
How to pay traffic challan on Paytm?
For those who use the Paytm app, you can make payment towards your challan over the app. Note that the payment option is available for select states and cities only.
- Open the Paytm app.
- On the home page are listed some quick payment options. Tap on “more” option, which should list all possible service options.
- Scroll down to “City Services” on the page and tap on “Challan” (refer image).
- Select your traffic authority.
- Enter required details.
- Choose mode of payment.